Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween: Costumes or Lack There Of

"I'm a mouse, duh."  Everyone that has seen the movie "Mean Girls" knows this quote well.  As Karen walks into a Halloween party wearing nothing but lingerie, someone asks what he costume is.  Pointing to her mouse ears, the only indication that she is wearing a costume, this is her response.  In a movie, a scene like this is considered comical, but recently, this seems to be a reality.  

Walking around on October 30th and 31st, I saw a wide variety of costumes.  Some people "pulled a Karen," wearing barely there clothing that has a small indication of a theme, where-as others went all out in over-covered outfits that really did conceal their identity.  And then, of course, there were those in a happy medium, as well.  For the Karens in the world, I have one question: Why?  What makes you want to leave the house in a complete lack of clothing?  And did no one warn you that it wasn't appropriate?  Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's fun to wear somewhat suggestive costumes (for example, I was in a guy's t-shirt as Tom Cruise from "Risky Business" - not the most modest of costumes but still covered).  

Let me know, am I way off base?  Are my ideas of appropriate that different from others'?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a good topic, but I think another blogger (Paris Hilton) blogged first on this, and therefore her post drew off all the commenters. You might want to go to her blog and add your ideas about why this bad-taste type of costume has gained popularity.