Monday, October 20, 2008

Time Wasting or Time Management?

            As I sat down to write my blog tonight, I glanced at the clock.  2:30am.  Not bad.  My sense of timing has been completely warped the past few weeks. 

            Back home I had a consistent schedule – in bed by 10:30, maybe 11:30 at the latest, up every morning at 7:15.  I functioned well on those eight or nine hours each night, and in the rare event that I got less than that I made up for it on weekends. 

            Ever since I got to SMU, my sense of timing has gone out the window.  I no longer find it strange to look at the clock and see 2:30am.  True, my earliest classes all week start at 10:00am as opposed to 8:15, but with busier days sleep is needed now more than ever.  I began to wonder where all my time goes.  I wish I could say I spent it all in the library, studying, keeping my GPA at a flawless 4.0.  I can’t.  I’m not involved in sports and I really don’t work out either.  I participate in a fair number of extra curricular activities but nothing that keeps me up to all hours of the night.  So where does my time go? 

            I realize there are two primary ways that I spend, almost waste, my time: Mac’s Place and friends’ rooms.  I find that every time I walk into Mac’s, I sit down with my meal, and hang out as people filter in and out.  Even after I’m done, I end up staying because I know the next wave of people making their way through.  Before I know it, three hours has gone by.  In regard to my friends’ rooms, I seem to find every night basically like a sleepover.  By not living in a traditional freshman dorm, I consequently don’t spend a lot of time in my room.  I don’t have a hall where students are constantly walking around, talking, and getting to know each other.  The majority of my friends, however, live in the same hall, so I end up spending much of my free time there.  If I lived there, going to sleep would be much more convenient because my bed would be just down the hall as opposed to across campus. 

            The good news: even though I spend a lot of time just hanging out not necessarily being productive, I still get my homework done and show up to my classes.  Time management has come out of these first few months, to an extent, but I would like to assume I am not the only one that is learning these lessons . . . 

1 comment:

NOLA girl said...

I agree with you about the way most college students, especially freshman, manage their time. I personally have not gone to bed before 2:00 am this entire school year. And the thing is, I don't even notice it. I just end up hanging out in my friends rooms or just out in my common room with the other people on my floor. I think this is the case for most freshmen living in the dorms. Especially for the ones living in Boaz or Mcelvaney because those dorms are only for freshmen. There is always something going on on at least one of the floors. I also still find time to do all of my homework and I attend all of my classes, but I still feel like I waste a lot of time doing nothing.