Friday, September 5, 2008

To Drive or Not To Drive

Every teenager goes through the same conversation with their parents as they’re about to go off to college – the ‘can I have a/take my car please’ conversation.  As I went through it with my dad, the number 978 was brought up: nine hundred and seventy eight miles from my home in the North suburbs of Chicago to Dallas, Texas.  My dad sure didn’t want to drive that far, and neither did I, though I would have if it meant I got to bring my car to school. 

            Upon arriving at SMU I was surprised at the number of freshmen that had cars, and even more surprised at how close I would have been allowed to park.  My dad reminded me that basically everything I would need was on campus, or at least in walking distance.  With restaurants in Snyder Plaza and the CVS just down the road he was confident that I would be alright. 

            As the first week went by, he was right.  I really didn’t find the need for a car because I was so wrapped up in being on campus and seeing people wherever I went.  Now, however, that I have made friends and have eaten at Umphrey Lee for three meals a day seven days a week I start to wonder how my experience would be different if I did have that car.  Times like Saturday and Sunday afternoons it would be nice to be able to drive around Dallas, do some shopping, get some food that isn’t from the cafeteria for a change.  Even something as simple as a trip to CVS would be made easier by a car – who wants to walk from the dorms to CVS carrying a big package of 24 water bottles? 

            Thinking into the future I wonder how I will be able to get around next year without a car.  I’m currently thinking about getting an off campus apartment next year, but will that be feasible without a convenient and constant mode of transportation?  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your point about the convenience of a car, but I did without one for my four years of college. I used the bus to go downtown, the light rail to get to my parents' house on the other side of Cleveland, and on campus, I rode my bike or walked to the local pizza and hamburger places. There wasn't as much to choose from as at SMU, but much of your choices are within a short walk. I tend to agree with your father; if you are living on campus, a car is not a necessity. As I posted to someone else who also wrote on this topic, some colleges don't even allow freshmen to have cars on campus.

AlmostFamous said...

Yeah I actually came from Chicago as well, but did not have the conversation about the car deal. I just figured I did not need a car because everything I need is on campus. I am too busy to drive. I feel like homework, eating, and going out with friends has consumed my whole college schedule. I really want to go shopping and buy some clothes, but I figure I will just buddy up with the girls on my floor with a car.
Also, back home my parents paid for my gas. I could not imagine coming to school and dropping mad bank in order to drive a couple places and eat out. I pay for my books, food, clothes, and necessities here at SMU. I have tried to be very careful with what I buy because I am spending my OWN money!